3 posts tagged pew
Just 9% of those who were surveyed earlier this year in a Pew Research Center study said they frequently follow news recommendations from either Facebook or Twitter when using computers, smartphones or tablets.
“Social media is secondary,” said Amy Mitchell, deputy director of the Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism. “Clearly it’s grown, clearly it’s the new player and part of the landscape, but it’s not the overwhelming driver.”
46% of American adults now own a smartphone of some kind, up from 35% in May 2011; Smartphone owners now outnumber users of more basic phones.
There has also been a corresponding shift in the specific types of phones that Americans report owning:
- 20% of cell owners now describe their phone as an Android device, up from 15% in May 2011
- 19% of cell owners now describe their phone as an iPhone, up from 10% in May 2011
- 6% of cell owners now describe the phone as a Blackberry, down from 10% in May 2011
- 52% of Republican and Republican-leaning registered voters said the GOP field was “fair or poor,” an eight percentage-point increase since the question was asked in early January.
- 46% rated the current field of four candidates “excellent or good,” a drop from the 51% who had that response in…