The Supreme Court issued their decision on health care reform today… what now?
We argue that supporters of the Affordable Care Act must use this moment to go to back to basics and explain to people what they are getting in this bill—or what they are losing.
- Don’t take a victory lap. The fight is far from over.
- But…stop selling the law. Start explaining it.
- Use this decision as a way to help people understand how they can get help with their health care now and in the future.
- This ruling means you have stable and secure coverage forever
- The fight is now over. Congress debated, the Court decided—this is done.
- Now that the fight is over, this is how you are going to get stable and secure coverage:
- If you have a pre-existing condition, you are assured of always getting health care.
- If you have son or daughter without coverage, you will always be able to put them on your policy until they are 26.
- If you become gravely ill, there are no limits on your benefits.
- If you are a woman, you can’t be charged higher premiums (starting in 2014).
- If you need preventive care, you won’t have a co-pay or deductible.
- If you lose your job, you won’t lose coverage (starting in 2014).
- If your employer doesn’t provide coverage, you will be able to buy affordable coverage (in 2014).